Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Pass The Baton


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Date:
Pass The Baton
Permalink   


So,  I printed off the pass the baton last night. We had 2365 peices which it said would take 54.25 hours to stock. 

Scheduled hours was 30.  Now the problem in our store is that our store manager insists that we not leave until trucks are done every night.  I finished my shift last night with 57 hours. Needless to say the truck wasn't done.  Now tonight we have another 1405 pieces coming in and one 2 people scheduled,  on top of the 1400 left over from last night.   I had to beg other associates to come in and help tonight. Now here's the problem.  We can't make management understand that we need more help. They put me in the back up position around thanksgiving and I have 3 other people that work with me. It's getting a bit ridiculous being behind all the time. Bit without the help it will always be like this.  Makes no sense. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 502
Date:
Permalink   

You will find out Kroger has a program for everything, but none of the programs are connected to each other. One will tell you your scheduled to perform the task effectively, but the other will tell you your understaffed. If you question anything your not "with the program"! Everything is pushed down the chair of command, but nothing ever makes it up from the lowest levels.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

rebeldon1969 wrote:

So,  I printed off the pass the baton last night. We had 2365 peices which it said would take 54.25 hours to stock. 

Scheduled hours was 30.  Now the problem in our store is that our store manager insists that we not leave until trucks are done every night.  I finished my shift last night with 57 hours. Needless to say the truck wasn't done.  Now tonight we have another 1405 pieces coming in and one 2 people scheduled,  on top of the 1400 left over from last night.   I had to beg other associates to come in and help tonight. Now here's the problem.  We can't make management understand that we need more help. They put me in the back up position around thanksgiving and I have 3 other people that work with me. It's getting a bit ridiculous being behind all the time. Bit without the help it will always be like this.  Makes no sense. 


 Man, I was in your IDENTICAL situation last year. Received the position before Thanksgiving, had all but two people with 1-2 weeks of stocking experience before Thanksgiving, and a Store Manager at the time that did not understand anything about stocking as he joined the company in Management instead of working his way up. He also did the "mandatory OT" routine and I was working 50-60 hour weeks and we still were unable to get the trucks done. Inventory was piling up, morale was down, it was an awful situation. Also a smaller store, a similar amount of team members, etc. You need to get in-touch with your Grocery Coordinator and explain the situation if your Department Head isn't doing it, because that's a stupid situation to be in. Also, cancel a truck. If the people above you refuse to do that, ISO order your main items, delete the CAO entries, and close the order until you can get the inventory under control.

As far as working inventory, I'd suggest working opened merchandise first. What I mean by that are pallets already unsealed, loose items like backstock, etc. Also hit your big seller items like Big K pallets, water, sales items, etc. Try to maximize your time by putting the best items out. There's really nothing else you can do except realize that if this continues, your Store Manager will eventually be reassigned because ultimately that failure lies on him/her. BTW: You should not be printing off the Pass the Baton sheet. That's Management's responsibility (the idea is that Closing Manager can communicate with Night Manager, and Night Manager can communicate with Opening Manager), so I'd go ahead and include that in a call/email to your Grocery Coordinator or District Coordinator. Your store manager might be upset if you go up the chain, but this is a situation where you need to go up the chain or else you're going to kill yourself mentally and physically trying to get the job done.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 502
Date:
Permalink   

Doesn't canceling trucks only cause bigger trucks down the road?  



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

EUID_Unknown wrote:

Doesn't canceling trucks only cause bigger trucks down the road?  


 If you allow it to, yes. Which is why it's best to do this kind of cleanup after Christmas when sales are down for a little while. Stripping CAO from the order and then closing the order will transition you from an outright cancellation. Then using the auto increase/decrease menu to decrease subsequent orders accordingly, and gradually work yourself back up. Same type of "big truck" can happen after inventory if you aren't careful with the subsequent orders.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 837
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:
EUID_Unknown wrote:

Doesn't canceling trucks only cause bigger trucks down the road?  


 If you allow it to, yes. Which is why it's best to do this kind of cleanup after Christmas when sales are down for a little while. Stripping CAO from the order and then closing the order will transition you from an outright cancellation. Then using the auto increase/decrease menu to decrease subsequent orders accordingly, and gradually work yourself back up. Same type of "big truck" can happen after inventory if you aren't careful with the subsequent orders.


Yup, I was decreasing a few orders 30% after Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Manually ordering what was necessary. We cleaned up nicely after the holidays and then had inventory last week!  It wasn't that bad this year.  I have only found a few crappy counts.  Still trying to catch inventory mistakes before they become backstock. 



__________________

Here for the fun working environment.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard