Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Working in two departments?
Anonymous

Date:
Working in two departments?
Permalink   


When I was hired on 2 years ago I was told that I will work in the meat department no where else was I told to work at. But now I have to go bag for the morons. I don't get two paychecks which I should but don't. Isn't there something the union can do for us not having to go up there and "help" them out? We help them out everyday but do they help us when we get behind on **** cause of them. NO they ****ing don't. I am wondering if I should call the union and tell them I am sick and tired of this quevision **** and refuse to do it. Hell they bitch at me if I am not up there in ONE SEC. I been trying to start a strike but alot of people are to scared to lose their patheitc job. furious



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:
Permalink   

First of all, you're not helping the "morons" up front. You're helping your customers...you know, the people who help keep your whiny, bitch ass a job. You can call God and and it won't get you any where. Do your job and help the customers. With a smile.

__________________
Quote from the Boss: I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you.
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

depending on your contract, meat dept isn't allowed to help out up front. they can volunteer to assist bagging, but mgmt can't make you.

check with your union rep to be sure



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1286
Date:
Permalink   

I'm kinda with Oboro on this.  You should just go do as needed w/o bitching.  but like the other response said,  some contracts only allow you to work in your assigned department. if they ask you to help out elsewhere you can politely refuse.  the main reason for this is to make sure the store hires enough staff.  so yea - go check with your union rep to see if this is allowed.  let us know the answer please



__________________

I am no longer part of the oppressed, evil workforce of Kroger!  Can you say "Hallelujah"  



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:
Permalink   

If he/she is a department head then under our contract, they don't have to help in other departments. But aren't the new contracts coming out soon?

__________________
Quote from the Boss: I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you.


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

When I was hired on 2 years ago I was told that I will work in the meat department no where else was I told to work at. But now I have to go bag for the morons. I don't get two paychecks which I should but don't. Isn't there something the union can do for us not having to go up there and "help" them out? We help them out everyday but do they help us when we get behind on **** cause of them. NO they ****ing don't. I am wondering if I should call the union and tell them I am sick and tired of this quevision **** and refuse to do it. Hell they bitch at me if I am not up there in ONE SEC. I been trying to start a strike but alot of people are to scared to lose their patheitc job. furious


 I work in meat and its a whole different ballgame compared to the other departments.  The meat shop is a "service" department, which means that in normal situations they are and should be the last ones to be called up front (outside of deli).

The way I approach it is this: If there is somebody else back there with me who has more seniority and they page "All Available", I go up front to help.  If I am the only person back there and I am waiting on customers and they page, I ignore it.  If a manager or somebody from the service department says anything, I say that I was helping a customer.

 



__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of The Kroger Co. family of stores."


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1286
Date:
Permalink   

just curious...

where is the meat/seafood department in relationship to the front end.



__________________

I am no longer part of the oppressed, evil workforce of Kroger!  Can you say "Hallelujah"  



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 488
Date:
Permalink   

totally differnt depts.

meat is under perrishables, front end is it's own dept.

different contracts, so the union doesn't like it, but management says you gotta bag, you gotta bag.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Its stupid they said oh it will only take a few weeks and we wont have to call anyone up. Its been atleast a month or so I think 2 to be sure. And they call up people every 15 mins it seems like. I sign up to work in the meat department no where else. We ALL KNOW kroger can afford to hire some extra people to cover their **** and still make money. But I am going to call the union and see what they say,



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Here they don't say "All available" they call u by name and tell u to come up front for customer service. Most of the time I go up there the dumb ****s don't even tell me where to go like they are clueless. Theres all baggers etc then few mins past after they wonder what to do next and then a bagger leaves to do something else then I take over. stupid ****



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:
Permalink   

They should have been training everyone, except department heads, to run a register. THOSE are the people who will make a difference later on. If they can call cashiers up and keep them in the register for at least 8 minutes, then more hours will be added on for front end and no one will have to be called out of their department. They shouldn't have told you it would only take a few weeks. It takes time for those 8 minutes to build up in the system. It sounds like the front end team aren't all on the same page. Ask your manager to explain the process to you. It's going to suck for a while but just keep in mind that it won't last forever.

P.S. We hate calling people up from other departments as much as you hate coming up. It sucks for everyone.

__________________
Quote from the Boss: I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you.


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Here they don't say "All available" they call u by name and tell u to come up front for customer service. Most of the time I go up there the dumb ****s don't even tell me where to go like they are clueless. Theres all baggers etc then few mins past after they wonder what to do next and then a bagger leaves to do something else then I take over. stupid ****


 Our store does but only if it is extremely backed up and they've maxed out their available help (or the available help is on break or lunch). 

As I said, if you work evenings and are by yourself, best thing to do is just ignore it.  If a manager comes looking for you or somebody from the service desk says anything later, tell them you were helping a customer. 

 



__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of The Kroger Co. family of stores."


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 129
Date:
Permalink   

Oboro718 wrote:

They should have been training everyone, except department heads, to run a register. THOSE are the people who will make a difference later on. If they can call cashiers up and keep them in the register for at least 8 minutes, then more hours will be added on for front end and no one will have to be called out of their department. They shouldn't have told you it would only take a few weeks. It takes time for those 8 minutes to build up in the system. It sounds like the front end team aren't all on the same page. Ask your manager to explain the process to you. It's going to suck for a while but just keep in mind that it won't last forever.

P.S. We hate calling people up from other departments as much as you hate coming up. It sucks for everyone.


 I've been told at our store to record the time spent on the front end so it can be adjusted for ELMS.  They have also told us that if we are called up front to go to the time clock and move to the front end and then move back when you are finished to keep track of hours.

As for the latter comment, I think it depends on the person.  You seem pretty reasonable when it comes to realizing calling people up, but other people where I work will use it as a crutch. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe customer service is a very important part of our jobs.  If anything, we are the last person the customer sees before they leave and it can make the difference into whether or not a customer decides to come back and shop at our store.  I still maintain though that if there isn't the product on the shelf that they want, the customer will leave and head for Wal-Mart before finding out just how "wonderful" our customer service is.

 



__________________
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of The Kroger Co. family of stores."


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1454
Date:
Permalink   

Drew P Weiner wrote:
Oboro718 wrote:

They should have been training everyone, except department heads, to run a register. THOSE are the people who will make a difference later on. If they can call cashiers up and keep them in the register for at least 8 minutes, then more hours will be added on for front end and no one will have to be called out of their department. They shouldn't have told you it would only take a few weeks. It takes time for those 8 minutes to build up in the system. It sounds like the front end team aren't all on the same page. Ask your manager to explain the process to you. It's going to suck for a while but just keep in mind that it won't last forever.

P.S. We hate calling people up from other departments as much as you hate coming up. It sucks for everyone.


 I've been told at our store to record the time spent on the front end so it can be adjusted for ELMS.  They have also told us that if we are called up front to go to the time clock and move to the front end and then move back when you are finished to keep track of hours.

As for the latter comment, I think it depends on the person.  You seem pretty reasonable when it comes to realizing calling people up, but other people where I work will use it as a crutch. 

Don't get me wrong, I believe customer service is a very important part of our jobs.  If anything, we are the last person the customer sees before they leave and it can make the difference into whether or not a customer decides to come back and shop at our store.  I still maintain though that if there isn't the product on the shelf that they want, the customer will leave and head for Wal-Mart before finding out just how "wonderful" our customer service is.

 


 OOPS...We're having exactly the same problems at Wal-Mart, identicle to the situations above described.

Kroger and Wal-Mart are worth billions of dollars----BOTH can easily afford to hire more cashiers, as well as retain enough stockers to have the products on the shelves~

 



__________________

Mother Earth needs to douche.

 

Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

What about if you work in the produce department  and they call for help and you can not get your stuff done can you refuse to go up 



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard