Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Power outage


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2965
Date:
Power outage
Permalink   


So have any of you guys ever had a power outage in your store, or have gone to another store to help during or after a power outage?

I volunteered for the chain call list a while back ago so I was at another store in my district yesterday putting the store back together after they had a power outage. The store was closed for like a whole day because we had to put the whole meat/dairy/frozen sections back together. It actually wasn't bad though, it was something different at least and they actually approved a ton of us to have OT for it (i mean what choice did they have?).... they even brought us lunch. Had a reunion of people i've worked with in my last store too.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1649
Date:
Permalink   

We had a few, and the backup generators came back on quicker than a microsecond. I wished the backup generators failed as well because that would mean qed have closed tbe store foe the day and would be able to get caught up on the stuff we need to do. But the backup generators werent having none of that.

__________________

How about NO?!?

 

Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

We had a power outage last year right before Thanksgiving when a drunk took out a power pole and we didn't have power for about 5 hours-it came back on about an hour before we closed cashier service but some of the registers didn't come back right away and were down until the following morning



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1046
Date:
Permalink   

Power outages or basically getting to do something different if fun! Its funny how they nickel and dime everything, but when it comes to a "big visit" or something major its spare no expense. The year end review meetings was always fun, you got out of the store and say all the peeps from over the years.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

4hourrush wrote:

So have any of you guys ever had a power outage in your store, or have gone to another store to help during or after a power outage?

I volunteered for the chain call list a while back ago so I was at another store in my district yesterday putting the store back together after they had a power outage. The store was closed for like a whole day because we had to put the whole meat/dairy/frozen sections back together. It actually wasn't bad though, it was something different at least and they actually approved a ton of us to have OT for it (i mean what choice did they have?).... they even brought us lunch. Had a reunion of people i've worked with in my last store too.


 I didn't even know that they had a help out list like that. But yea we've had a few since we moved into our current location. Heck just last month we had one for a long while(can't recall how long it was as I don't think any one actually admitted how long it was off for). But I know it had to have been off for a while, as I know I came in to close for my 2 to 10 shift and it was still off to the point where they were covering the cases with plastic wrap. And then we had to wind up uncovering stuff to put in whatever plastic crates that were wide enough to carry everything so it all could go on a truck to be taken away to another location to stay cold. But by the time we had just gotten everything OFF the shelves. Even was issued Powerade and Gatorade to keep us going. The power kicked back on and had to put it all back. As well as help customers and catch up on closing stuff. 

Didn't help that it was also the day before we were to deliver a 150 sandwich lunch box order and couldn't really go in and out of the cooler. Or none of the morning people could really go home either. Which I felt bad for them, as some had been there since 4 in the morning and couldn't crash. 



__________________
Bakerchick25

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:
4hourrush wrote:

So have any of you guys ever had a power outage in your store, or have gone to another store to help during or after a power outage?

I volunteered for the chain call list a while back ago so I was at another store in my district yesterday putting the store back together after they had a power outage. The store was closed for like a whole day because we had to put the whole meat/dairy/frozen sections back together. It actually wasn't bad though, it was something different at least and they actually approved a ton of us to have OT for it (i mean what choice did they have?).... they even brought us lunch. Had a reunion of people i've worked with in my last store too.


 I didn't even know that they had a help out list like that. But yea we've had a few since we moved into our current location. Heck just last month we had one for a long while(can't recall how long it was as I don't think any one actually admitted how long it was off for). But I know it had to have been off for a while, as I know I came in to close for my 2 to 10 shift and it was still off to the point where they were covering the cases with plastic wrap. And then we had to wind up uncovering stuff to put in whatever plastic crates that were wide enough to carry everything so it all could go on a truck to be taken away to another location to stay cold. But by the time we had just gotten everything OFF the shelves. Even was issued Powerade and Gatorade to keep us going. The power kicked back on and had to put it all back. As well as help customers and catch up on closing stuff. 

Didn't help that it was also the day before we were to deliver a 150 sandwich lunch box order and couldn't really go in and out of the cooler. Or none of the morning people could really go home either. Which I felt bad for them, as some had been there since 4 in the morning and couldn't crash. 


 Oops, this was my post.



__________________
Bakerchick25

Date:
Permalink   

mega-kitteh wrote:

We had a few, and the backup generators came back on quicker than a microsecond. I wished the backup generators failed as well because that would mean qed have closed tbe store foe the day and would be able to get caught up on the stuff we need to do. But the backup generators werent having none of that.


 I would just be glad to have more than one back up generator though. Cause at our store any time thunderstorms hit, things get all flickery and my managers have no good sense to let you go home. So you're essentially trapped at the store and have to take even more customer's BS cause they can't get stuff at the counter or get stuff out of the cases. Cause they are like I'm able to shop in the other parts of the store. Why can't I get something out of the deli? Cause we are trying to keep **** cold, ya crazy person. And obviously there is only enough juice for a few lights and the radio to keep going. But not for much else.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Customers generally come second in a power outage.  If you can try not to be stuck in the check stand.  Or you get  several grumpy people.  It's a higher concern for the store to get the perishables taken care of or you'll have to toss out a lot.  Customers get pissy when the shelves are covered but it's to save merchandise.  One of my locations forbid customers from lifting the sheets.  Every lift met a few degrees less. Several lifts = toss merchandise out.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 303
Date:
Permalink   

At my store, when we had a failure, store was closed and customers were out the door. We don't uncover anything once covered until Power company and Refrigeration peeps give the all clear to the Store Director / MOD and it is passed down the chain. If we are out for more then 10 minutes without signs of coming back, begin store closure, all but front end begin covering product, and once front end has custys out the door and the last one is out, all front end peeps assist where needed. That night was fun, had to clean a spill in womens as the roof leaked.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1649
Date:
Permalink   

But at least you got all your work done. No surge calla to the front, no customer interruptions etc.

__________________

How about NO?!?

 

Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Summer storms knock out the power at least once or twice a year.

Usually, backup power keeps the registers up, so we stay open and continue as normal until power comes back up.

This year is different.  Now, we get to close the store and pack up the meat department and wall deli while one of the managers runs around taking temperature readings.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard