Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Vacation week used up by medical leave?


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 450
Date:
Vacation week used up by medical leave?
Permalink   


Is it true your vacation time is used up when you go on medical leave? Someone told me that's a lie and that I should still have a vacation week.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Why do you ask so many stupid questions?



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I don't believe so.

You can choose to as some people elect to use up their paid personal time off while on leave so that they still have some money coming in. However if you simply fill out the leave of absence paperwork and get it approved, then you'll just be off without pay for the period indicated on the paperwork.

As always though things can and do vary based on division and union contract, so be sure to double check with the co-manager in charge of HR as well as with your union steward/rep (if you're in the union). This way you can just focus on getting better during your medical leave and not worry about whether or not your vacation time will still be there when you go back.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Mr Frontenac wrote:

Is it true your vacation time is used up when you go on medical leave? Someone told me that's a lie and that I should still have a vacation week.


 No, medical leave does not count as part of your vacation.  If it was, it would be called vacation and not medical leave.  Also, when a woman goes on maternity leave, which is a type of medical leave, she still keeps her vacation time.  In the Louisville division you can get up to 90 consecutive days medical leave at a time.  You can extend that as long as it's supported by medical evidence for up to two years.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 450
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

You can choose to as some people elect to use up their paid personal time off while on leave so that they still have some money coming in. However if you simply fill out the leave of absence paperwork and get it approved, then you'll just be off without pay for the period indicated on the paperwork.


 Oh, I didn't fill out any paperwork, this was an accident that just came out of nowhere, I did have to call MetLife though, after I got discharged from the hospital. And no, I did not receive any kind of money during my leave.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 450
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

 No, medical leave does not count as part of your vacation.  


 Hmm, I could have sworn I read somewhere in the employee handbook that when one goes on medical leave, all unused vacation time will be used up first, or something like that.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1679
Date:
Permalink   

No, you should not be required to use Vacation time if your have a medial leave. You just need to make sure the Medial Leave is approved and all your ducks are in a row. If your use FLMA leave, all your Vacation time remaining will be used. If your Medical Leave is a number or weeks/months, the Union provides "Medical Leave Pay".....

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 450
Date:
Permalink   

Awww, guess I'm out of luck then. Because my absence was under FMLA.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Mr Frontenac wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

You can choose to as some people elect to use up their paid personal time off while on leave so that they still have some money coming in. However if you simply fill out the leave of absence paperwork and get it approved, then you'll just be off without pay for the period indicated on the paperwork.


 Oh, I didn't fill out any paperwork, this was an accident that just came out of nowhere, I did have to call MetLife though, after I got discharged from the hospital. And no, I did not receive any kind of money during my leave.


 They why ask? Jesus are you really that stupid? Ask the file clerk at the store or your dept head. Man kroger manages to hire the most dumbest people on the planet.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I think the accident was in his pants.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

You can use vacation any time. While most enjoy using it for true vacations or just time off you can use it for any reason. If you have a long term medical need that is restricting your work you can use it to supplement your pay. I know a lot of coworkers who just work all year long and let it cash out for more pay. I've worked with several individuals that have had long term medical issues disabling and they had to use vacation to supplement income. Or same idea but for taking care of a family member.

My department lead at my current store has an on going health issue.  I have compassion towards him as a coworker friend but the quality of his/her work is dropping and attitude towards the job has significantly changed. I have lost respect towards them in their attitude towards the job. How much longer is management going to allow his position to be vacant and to allow a lead to display such unprofessionalism and be unreliable at best? It's been going on 1.25 years and counting. Please, please step down and go to part time. Rather than signing up for 40 hrs a week and being unreliable at best. Please step down. God please step down. Their post at work is frequently vacant and their position is being filled by cashiers. Cashiers that are doing an excellent job are being considered as a permeate long term replacement to help fill the gap. Looks like it will be permanate.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

From my experience.  If you choose to be paid under FMLA using PTO. Vacation is not paid if you exhaust your PTO. You are still allowed your scheduled vacation except it's unpaid.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard