Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Scan right guarantee
Anonymous

Date:
Scan right guarantee
Permalink   


What is y'alls perception on the scan right guarantee? In the past two years, ive had two people argue with me until they're blue in the face that we have to honor the "scan right guarantee" no matter what, even if we have caught it at the register before payment has been made. 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

If an item rings up higher than the price printed on the shelf tag, the customer gets one of that item for free excluding beer, wine, and cigarettes and other items prohibited by law.  If the customer has more than one of that item, the rest are rung up by hand.  The keywords here are shelf tag.  If an item has a price sticker from a label gun and it rings up wrong, the scan guarantee doesn't apply because those items are priced by employees and mistakes do sometimes happen. 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 316
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

What is y'alls perception on the scan right guarantee? In the past two years, ive had two people argue with me until they're blue in the face that we have to honor the "scan right guarantee" no matter what, even if we have caught it at the register before payment has been made. 


As far as I understand this is correct, if a customer buys a can of tuna marked $0.50 and it rings up $0.70, they get it for free, regardless if it's been paid for yet or not. Like the 1st reply said, it only applies to **one** of that item, not all of them.

And a related question: What do y'all do when a product is in the wrong spot (i.e. the sales tag itself is correct, but isn't where the customer found the product)? A lot of customers think this qualifies for ScanRite (and truthfully we usually give them the item because arguing with customers is like talking to a wall), but I don't think that's right.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 186
Date:
Permalink   

In 2015 when I was first hired by Kroger, and took cashier training class for a week, we were never told anything about "Scan Right" only "Make It Right" so apparently my Division must not enforce it or encourage it.

It shouldn't exist in the first place because it's stupid. Many of these customers read signs incorrectly either because they're old and can barely see anymore, or can't read/understand English very well, or they're trying to get one over.

Had one lady try to get one over on me by adamantly claiming that a 24 ct. Box of pizza bagels was 1.99. She pulled this crap 3 days prior by getting 24 oz of frozen berries for 3.99, because it was daytime and we wanted to shut her up and get rid of her.

Well, THIS time it was late and night, nobody else was around and I was having none of it.

I walked over and showed her that she was looking at the wrong sign. The sign for a box of 6 pizza bagels.

"Ooooh, I didn't know there was 24 in the box! That's a great deal, in that case I'll take them for 5.99"

How do you mistake a box 24 for 6?

Some of these customers think I'm younger than what I am ; some late high school/early college kid who doesn't buy groceries therefore doesn't know the value of food.

If it's a few dollars difference they're claiming, I don't even bother with price checks majority of the time. I just take their word for it and alter to the price (my management really doesn't care) but NO I don't let anyone have sh** for free, and none of them ever demanded it.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2622
Date:
Permalink   

Going 4011 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

What is y'alls perception on the scan right guarantee? In the past two years, ive had two people argue with me until they're blue in the face that we have to honor the "scan right guarantee" no matter what, even if we have caught it at the register before payment has been made. 


As far as I understand this is correct, if a customer buys a can of tuna marked $0.50 and it rings up $0.70, they get it for free, regardless if it's been paid for yet or not. Like the 1st reply said, it only applies to **one** of that item, not all of them.

And a related question: What do y'all do when a product is in the wrong spot (i.e. the sales tag itself is correct, but isn't where the customer found the product)? A lot of customers think this qualifies for ScanRite (and truthfully we usually give them the item because arguing with customers is like talking to a wall), but I don't think that's right.


 If it's the right price but in  the wrong spot, they get an apology and it's sold to them for the price it came up as. We always double check though and match the sku/plu code to see if it matches. If it does, no need to get the item for free. It was just in n the wrong place. Usually put there by a customer or an employee in a hurry to go on break or clock out



__________________

How about NO?!?

 



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 186
Date:
Permalink   

Right! Selling it for the (incorrectly) advertised price is just common courtesy, and I do that all the time. Did it today in fact.

But giving it to them for FREE?

No.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Its company policy. Do you follow company policy or are you insubordinate?

If you mark something at a lesser price and try to scam someone into paying more would be considered fraudulent.

The customer has to go through the extra trouble to keep an eye on you and then prove their case. The customer should be compensated for their trouble.

After all you are the one that is wrong. 



__________________
tov


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 185
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Its company policy. Do you follow company policy or are you insubordinate?

If you mark something at a lesser price and try to scam someone into paying more would be considered fraudulent.

The customer has to go through the extra trouble to keep an eye on you and then prove their case. The customer should be compensated for their trouble.

After all you are the one that is wrong. 


 Lol, insubordinate : D

If we put a wrong shelf tag to a product, then yes, it's our fault and you should pay the correct price. But if you (cheating customer) remove the tag so you can claim it has no price, replace it with lower price, place a wrong item to that shelf tag, or do any of the dozens of immoral things that cheating customers do to get something for free, then no. You should not be rewarded for that.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Aren't the "shelf tags" put on by "employees" also?



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

My Division discontinued the Scan Right guarantee last year. We'll honor the tag price, but they're not getting it for free. 



__________________
Mr Frontenac

Date:
Permalink   

mega-kitteh wrote:
 If it's the right price but in  the wrong spot, they get an apology and it's sold to them for the price it came up as. We always double check though and match the sku/plu code to see if it matches. If it does, no need to get the item for free. It was just in n the wrong place. Usually put there by a customer or an employee in a hurry to go on break or clock out

 Interesting, cause at our store, the front end managers give it to them for free, regardless if the price was right or not, just to shut them the hell up. It always confuses me cause, they also instruct us to give them the prices for items that require digital coupons, even if they never loaded the digital coupons.

I guess it's cause our store is desperate to get their customer satisfaction score up. So if there is any way they can avoid arguing with customers, they take it.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Much like Senior Day or rounding up coupons, Scam Rite only causes problems.

We don't really follow it or tell new employees about it.

For some customers, it turns into a scavenger hunt for old tags.  Other customers just lie, or rearrange displays, shelves, tags, and items.  Some will show us pictures of prices or displays from previous weeks, claiming they are from this week.

I used to do the guarantee quite frequently because our meat department had outrageously wrong prices, but I had to stop.  Too many customers would see the $5 credit and blow up on me because they thought I was charging them $5 extra.

These days, if Scam Rite comes up and they start demanding free stuff, I always send a courtesy clerk or sympathetic manager to check.  As it turns out, the customer is usually wrong.  Who would have thought?



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Mr. Hardy, You are a rude person speaking of elderly people in such a way. "Many of these customers read signs incorrectly either because they're old and can barely see anymore, or can't read/understand English very well, or they're trying to get one over." According to your statement, you believe your customers are either stupid old people, illegals who can't read English, or they're just thieves. IT'S KROGER POLICY! Shame on you. I can see just fine, and I can read. If you don't want to honor your own company policy, perhaps you should work for another company. Kroger puts customers first, and I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to know one of their employees is speaking about customers this way. You're obviously a very unhappy person with a chip on his shoulder. 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

The rudeness in this post is precisely why I drive an extra 22 minutes to shop at Meijer rather than the Kroger which is 4 minutes away.

I shopped at Kroger for over 30 years because it is the closest grocery. During that time overcharges got progressively more frequent until it was almost every trip. I got tired of waiting 15 minutes or more for a math challenged clerk to figure out I was overcharged, go find the item on the shelf and then call a supervisor to show them how to process a refund.

One free item hardly pays for my wasted time much less the conflict one has to endure almost every shopping trip. About half the over charges are expired sales prices that have not been removed but half cant be explained. If they were honest mistakes then you would have over charges and under charges but they are always over charges.

 

To those associates who delight in mocking customers remember it is the customers who provide the revenue that pays your salary.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

The rudeness in this post is precisely why I drive an extra 22 minutes to shop at Meijer rather than the Kroger which is 4 minutes away.

I shopped at Kroger for over 30 years because it is the closest grocery. During that time overcharges got progressively more frequent until it was almost every trip. I got tired of waiting 15 minutes or more for a math challenged clerk to figure out I was overcharged, go find the item on the shelf and then call a supervisor to show them how to process a refund.

One free item hardly pays for my wasted time much less the conflict one has to endure almost every shopping trip. About half the over charges are expired sales prices that have not been removed but half cant be explained. If they were honest mistakes then you would have over charges and under charges but they are always over charges.

 

To those associates who delight in mocking customers remember it is the customers who provide the revenue that pays your salary.


 That argument doesn't work because in reality we all pay each others salary.  All jobs can be traced to the production and consumption of goods and services.  It may have to through several steps in some cases, but for every job there is a customer who buys that product who then in turn uses it to produce another product to sell to another customer and so on until it reaches the general public.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I've worked for Kroger for 15 years. Yes, there is a scan right garuantee. Cashiers don't handle the refunds, instead, the customers are referred to the Customer Service Desk. There is also a Kroger product garuantee that states that if you're not satisfied with the Kroger Brand, you get the National Brand for free. Just don't mention these to anyone 



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:
Permalink   

You know Lane , There are dishonest in the world. Some of those dishonest people are customers. SOME of those dishonest people are KROGER EMPLOYEES.  Kroger puts out a weekly sale ad that starts every Wednesday. KROGER EMPLOYEES are responsible for. and ARE BEING PAID to adjust all prices in the ad. KROGER CORPORATE has the SCANRITE or SCAN RIGHT policy to SHOW THE COMMUNITY that KROGER is an honest merchant in the community. HOWEVER, many LOCAL KROGER MANAGERS do not want to honor the scanrite gauarantee. This policy has been in effect for over10 years. YET every year or so I'm told "They did away with that policy a long time ago". And "I" have to call corporate, and get a copy with TODAY'S DATE to PROVE the MANAGER IS LIEING AGAIN. This is a great policy. And if KROGER EMPLOYEES DID THEIR JOB entering the proper pricing into the system, there would not be any "FREE" items given to US CHEATING CUSTOMERS. 

AND WHILE I'M ON A ROLL,

MY PARENTS ARE BOTH STILL ALIVE AT 88 YEARS OLD. THEY DON'T OWN A COMPUTER. THEY DON'T OWN A SMART PHONE. SO THEY SHOULD'NT BE ALLOWED TO RECIEVE "DIGITAL DEALS WHEN THEY COME TO KROGER????? FOR KROGER TO DENY THEIR SENIOR CUSTOMERS DIGITAL DEALS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG. BUT YOU AND MANY OTHER KROGER EMPLOYEES SIMPLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS. WE ARE NOT A INTERUPTION OF YOUR JOB. WE ARE THE REASON YOU HAVE A JOB.

 



__________________
Jeff Rice
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I know 98 year olds with computers and smart phones. Your excuse is valid 15 years ago, not today.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

PRICEPOLICE wrote:

You know Lane , There are dishonest in the world. Some of those dishonest people are customers. SOME of those dishonest people are KROGER EMPLOYEES.  Kroger puts out a weekly sale ad that starts every Wednesday. KROGER EMPLOYEES are responsible for. and ARE BEING PAID to adjust all prices in the ad. KROGER CORPORATE has the SCANRITE or SCAN RIGHT policy to SHOW THE COMMUNITY that KROGER is an honest merchant in the community. HOWEVER, many LOCAL KROGER MANAGERS do not want to honor the scanrite gauarantee. This policy has been in effect for over10 years. YET every year or so I'm told "They did away with that policy a long time ago". And "I" have to call corporate, and get a copy with TODAY'S DATE to PROVE the MANAGER IS LIEING AGAIN. This is a great policy. And if KROGER EMPLOYEES DID THEIR JOB entering the proper pricing into the system, there would not be any "FREE" items given to US CHEATING CUSTOMERS. 

AND WHILE I'M ON A ROLL,

MY PARENTS ARE BOTH STILL ALIVE AT 88 YEARS OLD. THEY DON'T OWN A COMPUTER. THEY DON'T OWN A SMART PHONE. SO THEY SHOULD'NT BE ALLOWED TO RECIEVE "DIGITAL DEALS WHEN THEY COME TO KROGER????? FOR KROGER TO DENY THEIR SENIOR CUSTOMERS DIGITAL DEALS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG. BUT YOU AND MANY OTHER KROGER EMPLOYEES SIMPLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS. WE ARE NOT A INTERUPTION OF YOUR JOB. WE ARE THE REASON YOU HAVE A JOB.

 


 Get with the times and get off your lazy ass and show them how or do it for them. You dumb ass customers cant do anything for yourselves. nothing but lazy bitching bastards. And yes I dont care what so ever. Shop elsewhere your business here is no loss lol



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 64
Date:
Permalink   

Mr Frontenac wrote:
mega-kitteh wrote:
 If it's the right price but in  the wrong spot, they get an apology and it's sold to them for the price it came up as. We always double check though and match the sku/plu code to see if it matches. If it does, no need to get the item for free. It was just in n the wrong place. Usually put there by a customer or an employee in a hurry to go on break or clock out

 Interesting, cause at our store, the front end managers give it to them for free, regardless if the price was right or not, just to shut them the hell up. It always confuses me cause, they also instruct us to give them the prices for items that require digital coupons, even if they never loaded the digital coupons.

I guess it's cause our store is desperate to get their customer satisfaction score up. So if there is any way they can avoid arguing with customers, they take it.


 OMG I feel you on the digital coupons thing.   Its like if were gonna be giving them the e-coupon anyway, whats the point in doing them?   My other fear/concern is a we got an e-coupon for say 2.00 off of a cookie.  Usable on one item.  With how were doing it, a customer could hide 6 cookies, go through different lines while claiming they clipped it or use the I dont have a computer, and they could make off with $12 in illegal savings.  Or more.  And Im thinking how is that fair to the other customers or even us employees???

 

I remember seeing one couple get: a bottle of shampoo, deodorant stick, toothpaste, shaving cream.   They used EIGHT different perks cards on EIGHT different transactions at a SCO.   Im watching this like is this even allowed?  According to my supervisor, yes it was.   

HOWEVER I like to think Im pretty good at troubleshooting the app, checking all the settings to see if they actually used the app.  If I help them make a new account and find it already exists (but they cant login) OR if its on my app (because I dont use them ever) and I cant tell if THEY used it, I give it to them.  They arent immediately asking to be given it, they have the app, we both are TRYING to get it to work.   Im the kind of person who will admit Im wrong and admit defeat.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

You are incredibly ignorant... and ageist.  Wish I was around to see you get old and struggle with new technologies.  There may be 98 year olds with cell phones, but I know plenty of 80 year olds who are struggling with the technology.

How are you at calculus? quantum physics? juggling?  There are plenty of 20 year olds - 80 year olds who can do those things, but saying everyone should be able to because you know some who can is anecdotal.  Many elderly people struggle with technologies they did not grow up with or use for most of their adult life.  I, anecdotally, know several... but Google it, it is a real thing: "Most technology is not tailored for seniors and their different needs, touch screens can be hard to use, passwords and user names can be hard to remember and confusing, and menus and user interfaces can be overwhelming."

https://tyemedical.com/blog/8-reasons-seniors-can-struggle-with-technology-and-tech-tips-to-overcome/

https://www.noisolation.com/research/why-do-many-seniors-have-trouble-using-technology#:~:text=Most%20technology%20is%20not%20tailored,user%20interfaces%20can%20be%20overwhelming.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard