Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: New Cashier - Getting Heat For Ring Tender


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:
New Cashier - Getting Heat For Ring Tender
Permalink   


 

I'm a new cashier (about 2 monts) and my FEM and CSM are on my ass about my Ring Tender numbers. Admittedly I scored a 72 on the last report blankstare

I have been busting my ass doing everything I can think of to speed up my IPM.

But's it's hard becasue I'm always on Express.  Plus we are near a seniors apartment complex, so I get a TON of cash paying seniors at the Express lane. 

Anyways, I checked my Ring Tender  (96/Signon) before I left work today and it was this: 

IPM 22

TT .38

Our CSM told me to hit  25 IPM on the express lane. Other cashiers have told me this is really tough to do but didn't have any suggestions to help. Are there any tips someone can give me to do better. I really need this job and jobs are scarce where I live.  



__________________
Wilson

Date:
Permalink   

Hey Friend,

One thing to keep in mind is that at the end of the day your IPM, while important, is not the key component of your score.  Additionally, the most important thing to remember is that your ring tender has nothing to do with how fast you are, but how efficient you are.  There is a designated amount of time for every thing you do on the register.  This goes from entering a PLU (get those suckers memorized) to accepting payment.  A few things to remember:  The register does not stop timing you (for your IPM) until your drawer is closed.  This being said, until you get quick on giving back change (or until you can fix other inefficiencies) you should shut your drawer as soon as it opens at the end of the transaction and reopen it after the receipt has printed to give the customer back their change.  Next, you can make a point to always scan the Plus Card at the beginning of the transaction whenever possible.  Try these two to start and hop back on here if it doesn't work.

 

Hang in there, bro.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1615
Date:
Permalink   

Also, if you're on express a lot, make sure you don't bag as you go. That will slow you down significantly.

__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:
Permalink   

Wilson wrote:

Hey Friend,

One thing to keep in mind is that at the end of the day your IPM, while important, is not the key component of your score.  Additionally, the most important thing to remember is that your ring tender has nothing to do with how fast you are, but how efficient you are.  There is a designated amount of time for every thing you do on the register.  This goes from entering a PLU (get those suckers memorized) to accepting payment.  A few things to remember:  The register does not stop timing you (for your IPM) until your drawer is closed.  This being said, until you get quick on giving back change (or until you can fix other inefficiencies) you should shut your drawer as soon as it opens at the end of the transaction and reopen it after the receipt has printed to give the customer back their change.  Next, you can make a point to always scan the Plus Card at the beginning of the transaction whenever possible.  Try these two to start and hop back on here if it doesn't work.

 

Hang in there, bro.


Thanks for this. Recently I stopped bagging untill all the items were scanned. Thanks for the tip about closing the drawer. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Hopefully, those two things will help. It's just killing me when I get a really old customer who wants to dig around for EXACT change... or spends forever writing a check.. even after I tell them they don't have to fill the whole thing out. hmm

I know it's not their fault.. but so many things our out of my control.

 

thanks for the tips!  



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 523
Date:
Permalink   

I always thought your IPM was when you were scanning, then when you hit the total key, it starts your tender time.  



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2793
Date:
Permalink   

That's exactly why you can't stress yourself out about it. So many things are out of your control it's hard to consistently keep a high score. I normally score in the high 80s. It has a lot to do with your memory of produce, soda, and water codes. Always ask for plus cards, coupons, service desk items before even starting an order and wait for them to fill the belt up with items (it's trial and error how much you can get away with without upsetting customers).

There will be people who refuse to do certain things at the start of he order but you temper those people with the ones that will work with you, at the start of the order. Just keep going work on getting better and always keep in mind:

"They can't fire me over ELMS"

__________________

Would you like fries with th... I mean, your milk in a bag?

Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Wilson wrote:

This being said, until you get quick on giving back change (or until you can fix other inefficiencies) you should shut your drawer as soon as it opens at the end of the transaction and reopen it after the receipt has printed to give the customer back their change.


DO NOT DO THIS.  This is a huge red flag for loss prevention and out of order drawer opens appear on the daily bookkeeper's reports.

Most of my store's customers pay by card except at express which is usually cash. it looks like you have great tender time.  

25 ipm is an unrealistic goal for express.  I've done it but it's not really necessary to boost your elms score. as the other post said everything has a time attached from using the scan gun to keying in a plu to the time between orders (10 seconds).  If you aren't bagging until you're finished, this is where you're being killed and it won't show on your ipm or tender time.  

you can bag as you go, just keep a rhythm.  make sure you have open bags ready to go.  try to relax & think of it as a game.  look ahead and pick like items to scan so you can bag a bunch together and move to the next group.  

 



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:
Permalink   

Well I tried some of the tips.. 

Crazy thing.. my Items per minute went up.. but my TT was negatively impacted. I did the thing with closing the drawer really fast - and then opening again to give change. But I have to admit it makes me nervous. If I'm questioned about it.. I'll just say I was probably going too fast and sometime forgetting to give people their change.

As far as being fired for ELMS - I live in a "Right To Work" state. Which means my employer can fire me for just about any reason they want to. I don't want to risk any trouble, so I'm pushing myself as hard as I can stand. I need this job.. it's not a choice. Jobs suck in my hometown and there are very few employers. 

That being said.. I did manage to get this as my final score

IPM = 25.86

Customer Per Hour 37.32

Tender Time Per Customer .51

I'm nervous about the TT going up.. but my CM was really happy about the IPM. They've been stressing IPM to me for the past few weeks. Things I'm sure that helped were.. memorizing the common produce (Bell Peppers, Green Onions, Tomatoes, Russet Potatoes, Cucumbers, and Onions). Also I'm in the habit of clicking Total and EFT away. Enough customers have already slid their payment cards so this helps. If it's a slow check or cash customer, I just wait until they hand me the money and I cancel the EFT. 

I know 25 IPM at Express is an unfair thing to ask. And for some odd reason, none of the other cashiers have been asked this. So if I'm being set up or something.. I'm going to make it damn hard to let me go for productivity or work habits. 



-- Edited by Bagboy2000 on Monday 29th of December 2014 08:24:56 PM



-- Edited by Bagboy2000 on Monday 29th of December 2014 08:39:40 PM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 523
Date:
Permalink   

Bagboy2000 wrote:

Well I tried some of the tips.. 

Crazy thing.. my Items per minute went up.. but my TT was negatively impacted. I did the thing with closing the drawer really fast - and then opening again to give change. But I have to admit it makes me nervous. If I'm questioned about it.. I'll just say I was probably going too fast and sometime forgetting to give people their change.

As far as being fired for ELMS - I live in a "Right To Work" state. Which means my employer can fire me for just about any reason they want to. I don't want to risk any trouble, so I'm pushing myself as hard as I can stand. I need this job.. it's not a choice. Jobs suck in my hometown and there are very few employers. 

That being said.. I did manage to get this as my final score

IPM = 25.86

Customer Per Hour 37.32

Tender Time Per Customer .51

I'm nervous about the TT going up.. but my CM was really happy about the IPM. They've been stressing IPM to me for the past few weeks. Things I'm sure that helped were.. memorizing the common produce (Bell Peppers, Green Onions, Tomatoes, Russet Potatoes, Cucumbers, and Onions). Also I'm in the habit of clicking Total and EFT away. Enough customers have already slid their payment cards so this helps. If it's a slow check or cash customer, I just wait until they hand me the money and I cancel the EFT. 

I know 25 IPM at Express is an unfair thing to ask. And for some odd reason, none of the other cashiers have been asked this. So if I'm being set up or something.. I'm going to make it damn hard to let me go for productivity or work habits. 



-- Edited by Bagboy2000 on Monday 29th of December 2014 08:24:56 PM



-- Edited by Bagboy2000 on Monday 29th of December 2014 08:39:40 PM


 DO NOT tell them you forgot to give a customer their change.  They could think you kept it if your till isn't over.  25/51 is good.  They will ride you for a few weeks when you are new then probably slack off.  They do it to all new employees.  Then a few months later they will start in on everyone again.

 

Things that help:

 

1.  As they unload sort like items together so you can bag them quicker.  Turn the barcodes toward the scanner, line em up!

 

2.  Check your sale ad each week and learn the produce codes for what's on sale.  Mangos on sale? 4951.  Avacados?  4255

 

3.  This is just me but I try to spin the bags AWAY from the customers so they won't start grabbing them and loading their cart lol.  I want them to get their darn money or card out and pay!

 

4.  I ask if they have their card or want to use their phone number.  9 out of 10 at my store don't have a card so I put in their phone number while they are unloading.  When they are done I hit enter and start scanning.  Try not to let the customers put in their alternate id.  They can't work that machine.  It takes them 2 times usually and then you have to do it yourself anyway.

 

5.  Scan with right hand, place items in bag with left hand.  Keep conversation to a minimum.

 

6.  Transfer to another department as soon as possible. biggrin

 

 



__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:
Permalink   

Ms White wrote:

when you are new then probably slack off.  They do it to all new employees.  Then a few months later they will start in on everyone again.

Things that help:

 1.  As they unload sort like items together so you can bag them quicker.  Turn the barcodes toward the scanner, line em up!

 2.  Check your sale ad each week and learn the produce codes for what's on sale.  Mangos on sale? 4951.  Avacados?  4255

 3.  This is just me but I try to spin the bags AWAY from the customers so they won't start grabbing them and loading their cart lol.  I want them to get their darn money or card out and pay!

 4.  I ask if they have their card or want to use their phone number.  9 out of 10 at my store don't have a card so I put in their phone number while they are unloading.  When they are done I hit enter and start scanning.  Try not to let the customers put in their alternate id.  They can't work that machine.  It takes them 2 times usually and then you have to do it yourself anyway.

5.  Scan with right hand, place items in bag with left hand.  Keep conversation to a minimum.

6.  Transfer to another department as soon as possible. biggrin

 

 Thanks for the tips. I'm doing a lot of this already... especially the produce codes! I like the tip about asking the customer if they want to use their Kroger Card or Phone number. I also like spinning the bags away from the customer. Sometimes they try to help bag or grab bags from the cart.. but they aren't as efficient as we are at it.  As far as closing the drawer. I'm just going to stop doing it.  If it get brought up, I'll just play dumb or look confused.  I don't want to be accused of stealing. I'm not a thief and don't want anything like that on my record. I live in a small area and word gets around. Something like that could stop me from getting other jobs. 

Transferring to another department might not be a bad idea. Been thinking of getting my Pharmacy Tech license from night school anyways :D 

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 523
Date:
Permalink   

One of our young high school students was a floor supervisor at Kroger.  After graduation he bought the book off Ebay and studied it to get his pharmacy tech license.  When he thought he was ready he paid the fee, took the test and passed it!  He got a job at CVS a week or two later and left Kroger.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard